Monday, August 17, 2009

A Little Bit of Feedback

This past weekend found my daughters and me with my co-organizer and her daughter, my SU Manager and her daughter, and the SU Outdoor Program Consultant (OPC) and her daughter at the OPC's family cabin for an overnight camping trip. Unfortunately my co-leader and her daughter had a prior commitment, so we missed them.

While we were there, the OPC said that one of the Sorta Juniors who she brought tends to be difficult to please/entertain. However, after the first session, she is extremely enthused and excited about the Journey program. Unfortunately, she and the SUM's daughter will be missing this coming session due to the opportunity to see a professional soccer game in a local city.

The second piece of feedback came from the OPC again. This time it was about the take-home piece for the Juniors. One part was to find out a little bit about a famous woman who could be a role model. Apparently within three days' time, her daughter had done a bunch of research on Abby Wambaugh (US Women's Soccer player) - and even learned that Abby isn't her true first name. My own Junior had finished her sheets by Friday. On Sunday I asked her if she would share them with me or if I had to wait until the next Journey session. She has a special affinity for Harriet Tubman. We are a very Caucasian, Irish-Italian family, so there's not the ethnic identification thing going on. For my daughter, the fact that Harriet Tubman died on March 10, 1913, is doubly important: first because it's the same day as she was born (obviously in a different year); second because it was the year after Girl Scouts started. She has visited Tubman's home in Auburn, NY, so when she was given the opportunity to write about a famous woman, it was a no-brainer to her.

The third piece of feedback came today. The SU Manager watched my daughters while I ran a number of errands today, one of which was to the GS shop to pick up the Journey books. I handed an Agent of Change book to the SU Manager's daughter, and she immediately started reading through it with a big smile on her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment